Quebec, Canada
Married 14 years and now in love with Penelope

Our Itinerary For Our Journey to China

  • Wed Aug. 29: leave Montreal at 8 am
  • Wed Aug 29: leave Toronto at 10:30
  • Thurs Aug. 30: Arrive in Shanghai at 1:30
  • Aug. 30 to Sept. 1: Visit Shanghai
  • Sat Sept 1: Hook up with our agency adoption group
  • Sun Sept. 2: Leave with Group for Nanchang
  • Sun Sept. 2: MEET PENELOPE in NANCHANG at 4:30
  • Sept. 2 to Sept. 7: It's all about Penelope
  • Sat Sept. 8: Head to Beijing
  • Mon Sept. 10: Baby's Visa & Medical Visit
  • Sun Sept. 9: Great Wall of China
  • Tues Sept 11: Visit Summer Palace
  • Wed Sept 12: Tiananmen Square & Forbidden City
  • Thurs Sept 13: Receive Baby's Visa
  • Fri Sept 14: Bringing Penelope Home! Arrive in Montreal at 9:15 pm

Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

We have our Penelope!

OK I am FINALLY blogging again...coming out of our blissful cocoon. We obviously have our Penelope...Gotcha day was Sept. 2 at 4:30 pm. She came in snoozing, she was handed to us, still snoozing, started to wake, whined a bit, and slowly opened her eyes to feel herself being cuddled in her mother's arms...she had her head on my shoulder and so the first thing she saw when she awoke in her new life was her daddy's face. She cried a little but was consolable. Back at the hotel room she was initially quite wary but tracked our every move and every sound with an intense stare. She slept alot the first day, seemed pretty limp, and sad...but boy has she changed so fast...she now extend her hands to take toys we offer (did not do that for first 24 or so hours)and well, now Tuesday evening she is reaching to explore the world around her and most importantly reaching for mama...she cries and looks for me when I'm out of sight...and it feels so good to be able to comfort her, she's a cuddly little thing, she loves to snuggle. However, Daddy has gotten quite a few smiles and chatting too! She is generally a calm and intense little girl, she is just beautiful, those eyes are so intense so it's so wonderful to see her relaxing and being playful. She's smiling at us, giggling, talking (well, babbles at us and responds with babbling) and imitating our kisses and even imitated a wave! She's a great eater, great sleeper, and so far great pooper! She loves most of the standard baby food--formula & cereal, is not too crazy about canned foods, but loves to eat our table food...she went just crazy for the pancakes at breakfast! It's amazing to watch her soak up her new world and all the action. All the babies of our group are doing well, they're great kids! Our group consists of only two couples for whom this is a first child, ourselves included. So we are in good, experienced company and there is a very wonderful and supportive group dynamic. We got a wonderful warm reception from the locals in Nanchang when Eric and I went out for our first walk alone with Penelope yesterday. People were smiling, waving, giving us the thumbs up, and we were so moved to be approached by a young woman on the street named Tiffany who tries to find the original (yes, original newsprint) finding ad for children...she came to us with a form stating how happy the Jiangxi people are about us loving and taking care of our girls...when I read that I just melted in the middle of the street...it was too much...my heart was overwhelmed...too incredible to have this connection with a people and a land so far away from my own. I have been much weepier since I got her than ever before in the process. Anyway, Tiffany also has a shop where we've ordered a handmade silk dress, hat and shoes for Penelope with the fabric containing the lotus flower that represents the province of Jiangxi. I will try to post more regularly, promise. I can't wait to see all our family and friends and for Penelope to meet everyone. It's so incredible...I could have never imagined, but she is the centre of my new universe. I'm high maintenance...and let me tell you...I am impressed with myself...my hair looks like shit in this humidity and I don't care...I'm sleeping with low AC and I don't fuss, I'm sweating like a pig and I don't even notice (well, I do, but I forget about it)...as long as she's comfortable and happy, I'm happy. There's so much to say...can't wait to tell all when we're back home... For now, we feel very blessed.

7 comments:

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Congrats, she is a cutie pie. So glad she is doing so well.
So happy for all of you!

Elisa.

Kelley said...

Hooray for you! Hooray for you! Look at that beautiful girl!!! Wow! It sounds like you are all doing so well. I'm glad that Penelope is eating several things, and pooping, too! That is a really good sign. Keep having fun!

Anonymous said...

She looks simply adorable...Tyler and ALyssa can't wait to meet her (me too!!) I am extremely happy that she has adjusted to you both so quickly and more importantly that she is sleeping well!!! She seems to be very happy with her new parents, Congrats!! Can't wait for you guys to come back. Enjoy and we will see you soon
Barb and family

Wanda said...

OH MARY!!!!!!!! Congratulations to you and Eric. She adorable!! And you're right Dahlia stared intensely especially that first day. She didn't let me out of her gaze. We are just SO HAPPY for you. What a perfect family. Enjoy everything and every moment. We'll see you three very soon. Kisses for Penelope. Love,
Wanda

4D said...

Congrats on having your sweetie in your arms.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

So there you go, one small step and the universe just changed. I'm so happy for you and Eric. Penelope looks delicious! Enjoy your trip and your new life together.
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I can attest to the change in the grooming habits of Mama! Penelope, your mama has let it all go for YOU!! ;D Just starting to have time to read other blogs... your Penelope is such a cutie pie. Great to read about her first days with you. And it is true: she has that incredible intense stare as she takes in everything in an observant solemn manner. But just wait til she gets settled in, she'll be a giggling party girl doing hairdos and outfits with Mama!! Congrats Mary! We did it! much love, Leanne